pcdb - Re: [pcdb] jedd's requirements

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: Paul d'Aoust <paul@heliosville.com>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] jedd's requirements
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:25:33 -0700

On Sat, 2007-31-03 at 02:04 -0400, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
> What we have been talking aboutlately - a permaculture fauna/flora
> relationships database; a system revealing relationships between
> plants and plants, plants and animals and animals and animals. Or
> justleave out animals for time being is this is a better way to get
> started. I would like to see a relationships database include such
> things as plants, animals, soil, water features, earthworks,
> climate, tools and equipment, and methodologies.

We could start with plants and grow from there, if it would make it
easier for us to tackle this project. If animals, tools, and microbes
are the same sort of objects, we just create another functional group
for each domain, and start linking up relationships. (Althoug, thinking
about it, it might be a lot of work to link up those relationships after
the fact.)

> The extra mailing list for new content providers, wikis, blogs and
> galleries are simply workspace we provide to the content providers,
> i.e. database contributors, to aid them in their work and give others
> an opportunity to see what they are doing with the possibility of
> advising and collaboration. Also, a fun place to take a break, do
> unstructured things and keep our community of users and contributors
> together. It was said a long time ago that haveing a community
> associated with your website is key to its success. I do think that
> one of our most difficult jobs will be to get people to use and
> contribute to the database. Comments?

I think this is kind of what I took you to mean a few posts ago, and I
think this is a really exciting idea. I think this is the 'narrative'
thing that someone was talking about a while ago. I'm looking forward to
photos!

Paul d'Aoust