pcdb - Re: [pcdb] jedd's requirements

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] jedd's requirements
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:42:42 -0400

jedd wrote:

What I don't understand is the delineation between the plant database
and the permaculture database. If the latter relies on the former for
table lookup (I'm not sure this qualifies them as separate db's by
definition) then the designers of the latter either sit around and
wait for the former to be written and the API & schema published,
or they are involved in writing both. If the same set of people
are writing both systems, then you've just extended the time it'll
take to develop either by a factor of something greater than 2.

My take on this:

There only needs to be one database, one that contains much plant information,
eventually information about other living things encountered in a
permaculture system,
one that has the ability to reveal relationships between these things.

The concept would be a permaculture database, a discovery tool showing the relationships between elements in a permaculture system, useful for system design and guild documention. Maybe a future enhancement could include
a general permaculture information resource (a Permapedia).

Adding a wiki, blog and cms might make it easier to expand the scope of the project without making the relational database any more complex than necessary.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm