pcdb - Re: [pcdb] [Fwd: [ibiblio.org #40367] sponsored links]

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] [Fwd: [ibiblio.org #40367] sponsored links]
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 03:21:58 -0400

Paul d'Aoust wrote:

Well, that's all very good to know, and refreshing too. ibiblio seems to
have huge iron; I don't know where they get their money from.

Sponsors :-) [Red Hat, IBM, Sun, many others], grants, donations and support from the Univ. of NC plus a joint venture with other entities at the NC Microelectronics Center (MCNC). I used to use VT100 in my telecom software, dialup modem (2400, 9600) to connect to MCNC and do an anonymous public login (provided for academic staff) to a telnet gateway to login to ibiblio, known as Launchpad originally, read Usenet news and browse ftp sites. That was a loooong time ago. I ran a dialup single line BBS in the FidoNet network 1:151/501: EARTH*Net BBS.

I'm also pleasantly surprised that there is a grant out there for a
plants database. Is it slated exclusively for those three projects you
mentioned? (and should we merge into that project anyway, as you said on
the pcplantdb list?)

To get money from this source it will be necesary to ultimately fulfull the
terms of the Threshhold Grant,
to create an interactive Permaculture Guild Database. Whether the software
Chad produced will
be completed and used or whether some other software or web app will be used
is up to those who
choose to work on the project and derive payment for their time from that
grant.
Talk to Scott Pittman about money left in the grant and using it to finish
the project.

LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.