pcdb - Re: [pcdb] [Fwd: [ibiblio.org #40367] sponsored links]

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] [Fwd: [ibiblio.org #40367] sponsored links]
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:13:54 -0400

Paul d'Aoust wrote:

oh, no, I meant if we hosted it some place other than ibiblio. Someone
said that ibiblio might not have enough storage space for a huge
database, so I was thinking about alternatives and their costs.

That's not the issue; ibiblio has more than enough disk space to host a huge
database.
Commercial sponsoring or any overt commercial activity is not part of their
mission and charter.

So we do not need to raise money for hosting. We've been through the
alternative hosting idea before in pcplantdb
and I, for one, am satisfied that ibiblio is a perfect, and free, host site for a open source PC DB. In fact their sis quite a generous offer. If some rich sponsor thought enough of our project to pay for commercial hosting in order to
use us to promote his business this might be worth considering if he made an
offer of significant size and guaranteed
that it would continue for enough years to satisfy our needs, i.e. go it on
our own and pay our own way.

Why would we need sponsoring? What would we use the money for other than to pay for programming effort, certainly a good enough reason. There is money available in a grant from the Threshhold Foundation to pay for programming the pcplantdb or PIW or http://www.permaculture.info. This is to be a permaculture guild database or permaculture plants relationship database.

LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm