pcdb - [pcdb] lets start developing common language and a basis for selecting approach...

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcdb] lets start developing common language and a basis for selecting approach...
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:10:05 -0700

Jedd ~ I'd like to hear more about why a system would need to be all things to all people -- I would worry that the more complex the interface, the more obscure to function of the tool, the fewer users. The front end will need to be conceptually legible. Can we organize this information without some kinds of nesting hierarchical taxonomy -- and couldn't we manage that with some kind of keywords/tags attributes?

I suggest that defining goals and user groups would be a great start -- then work through data architecture alternatives (using our goals/user group ideas to evaluate). -- then find a platform that supports the architecture or build one.
I've set up a free-on line wiki for design development with a page for user group and one for goals: http://pcdb.pbwiki.com/ pw:qwerty

PBwiki is functionally deprived, so if anyone has a better tool then serve it up!... at least we can do a text data dump from pbwiki as a zip file... We can still use the email thread for core discussion, but I think we will get much farther if we shift from information fire hose to collaboratively molding clay.

Mr. London, can we include a reference to what ever wiki we end up using for design development as a footer to this email list?

I am greatful we have the stewards of permawiki and PFAF on this list! I would be very interested in hearing your insights on what works or doesn't work in the systems you have been building. I'd suggest this project needs to consider both social/cultural limitations as well as technical.

~ Paul Cereghino
---------------------

USER GROUP - two levels
1) *information retrievers* are people who are looking for information to help them make a decision about their design, they have varied levels of knowledge from very technical to very general. They are people interested in designing complex systems. They are looking for either answers to specific questions, or looking for seeds of inspiration for their next project.
2) *information contributers* have information to contribute that has varying levels of accuracy and precision. They are offering personal experiences, references to books, or experimental data.

GOALS
1) System takes text or formatted files from varied contributers and organizes it so it is easily found.
2) Information is rated for estimated accuracy through citation and peer review
3) Opportunity exists for text to be modified and clarified over time
3.5) Opportunity exists for debate to occur over text.
4) The system supports and encourages synthesis of contributed information so that goal 1) occurs
5) The system will not develop duplicative information clusters, but serves to organize information into cohesive storylines that either coelesce or bufurcate based on whether differences in opinion/data are resolved or polarizing.
6) The system facilitates the creation of linkages between topics

SCOPE
PRIMARY
Plant-soil-animal production technologies
Food management technologies
shelter/energy/water technologies

If there's genuine renewed interest I can spend some time jotting
down my thoughts on what I think a 'all things to all people' system
should provide. I'd certainly be interested in comparably detailed
specs from others .. so we can quickly work out how disparate our
respective expectations are.

Jedd.