pcdb - Re: [pcdb] list neophyte here; question about wiki

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: Bear Kaufmann <bear@ursine-design.com>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcdb] list neophyte here; question about wiki
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 00:17:51 -0700

Hi all,

I've been rather busy, so haven't had much time to post, but I'll chime in for a quick minute here.
The discussions on the pcplantdb list moved towards a vision of a wiki-based system which I think has merit.
So, I'm excited to see what Richard Morris has done with the PFAF/MediaWiki combo.
Complex syntax is an issue to be resolved, but the basic idea, with XML export and MySQL storage of attributes is quite cool.
The attribute table R.M said MediaWiki can store would be amenable to a browsing system like what I developed here:
http://piw.openpermaculture.org
If you haven't seen it before, the initial page shows the attributes of the entire 7,300 plant 'set'. Clicking a link narrows the set to plants with the attribute, continually refining the set unless you remove a term.
Note that this is a beta version/proof of concept, the UI could be vastly improved by thinking over the user search modes, customizing the layout for different search methods, and finding ways to reduce the info. overload.
Developing input/output info and matching algorithms between plants/objects is another vital step.

Cheers,
Bear