pcdb - [pcdb] [Fwd: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Database]

pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Database

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcdb <pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcdb] [Fwd: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Database]
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:52:32 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Database
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 00:14:19 -0500
From: Lawrence F. London, Jr. <lfl@intrex.net>

negiliblek wrote:

Lawrence,

I like the idea of creating a development mail list: pcdb@lists.ibiblio.org.

I'll do that one. Good to keep all our lists at one location, using the same
software,
Mailman (excellent - this list started at NCSU CES, then UNC CH, then ibiblio
using Lyris, then Mailman
(with regular version upgrades).
Would you like to be co-admin/moderator? Anyone else?

or:

(http://www.gaianlife.co.uk/phpbb/index.php?sid=b1cb7a79ba3c8221f68cc4c7fa59
2631)
That Helen has offered for our use.

It would be nice to have a webforum on Gaianlife too, just for announcements,
2-way-RFI and promotion, and integration
with activities sponsored by them. Could you ask her to create a forum and
put in World Culture (if that's OK) so
people we ultimately want to reach around the world will notice us.

If the following people listed are willing to be subscribed to this new list,
I'd like to see their input in the dev process:

Paul Cereghino
Jedd
Larry Saltzman
Richard Archer
Bob Randall

...and anyone else whose wants to be directly involved in the design and
development process.

I've already sent the request for the new list so, if those who want to be
subscribed will let me know I will add them
as soon as the list is up and running.

Jedd has a good point: we may need ownership (read leadership) defined for
each portion of the overall project ( i.e. ownership for the database,
ownership for the CMS, ownership for wiki).

I've assumed that Lawrence was the overall owner (leader) of the project.
Since, at first, no one responded to Lawrence's original question, I figured
I'd take ownership of creating the database.

But now, with all the interest, I'm perfectly willing to step back and do
grunt and gopher work on the database.

Are there any volunteers that want to be owners (people who make final
decisions when a design and/or implementation decision has to be made when
there exists two equally viable solution presented by the developing
group; people who coordinate contributors' input and do work on the project)
of the database? ... of the CMS? ... of the wiki?

Right on with all of the above.

Lawrence, what kinda of structure do you want?

I have this vision of a new online permaculture information resource
ccomprised of linked components consisting of a database, wiki, blog,
website, gallery, webforum
plus a distributed system that connects these components to external
resources that other permaculturists manage
using RSS feeds, blog linking and website links. And Google CoOp Custon
Search Engine; an array of engines for topics
under development by participants in our project. I think this could be
configured in an orderly way so as not to be
confusing to users.

What about a name for the project? Permaculture Planet, PCDB, PermaSphere
(spheres of activity, spheres of knowledgs),
Permaculture Knowledgebase? I may still have a PermaSphere donain, if so I
would donate it. Will the domain registrars
allow multiple ownership of domains?

LL

  • [pcdb] [Fwd: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Database], Lawrence F. London, Jr., 12/19/2006