oscri - Re: [Oscri] Desired CC Technology Summit outcomes

oscri AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: "Mario Pena" <mpena AT safecreative.org>
  • To: "Nathan Yergler" <nathan AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: oscri AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Oscri] Desired CC Technology Summit outcomes
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 12:43:38 +0100

Hi all,

Since I'm working on the presentation I want to contribute a bit on this :)

My ideas and concerns down in between Nathan's questions:

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 12:26 AM, Nathan Yergler <nathan AT creativecommons.org> wrote:
Hello,

I've met many of you at the previous CC Technology Summit back in
June, but wanted to introduce myself to those I haven't met.  I'm CTO
at Creative Commons and am running the program for the Technology
Summit in Cambridge, MA next week.  I'm very excited about the program
and think it will be a productive and informative day.  While not all
the talks are directly registry related, I think they all touch on
issues that are relevant to building open, interoperable and
distributed registry systems.

We're about a week out and I wanted to solicit ideas about what
outcomes members of OSCRI would like to see come from next week's
meeting.  I have a set of questions I've been thinking about with
respect to registries.  Things like:

* How do we identify content between registries? (ie, "are URIs enough?")

Maybe the big challenge would be to find an worldwide organization that enforces some rules to help this identification. In the Internet era we have to think in URIs, but also in metadata embeded in the work. Can also we based on URIs embeded in the metadata and based on a standard code from which you can recognize it's a registry data and translated to a usable URI. I don't know if I express myself for I'm not technician. Sorry ;)

Also de information should be completed with XHTML information in the registry page.

* What is the minimal feature set you need to make a truly useful registry?

Guess to be able to give the following information: Author, kind of work, license and maybe also, other authors involved and even other works involved in the creation (ie. videos, with music, pictures, etc). Also to keep track of license changes.

Maybe one of the best ways to  be very useful, and as Registered Commons suggests, is to be able to accurately identify our users. The more they are identified the more confidend you can be with what they are registering.

* How are misuses/misclaims policed?

This is very important and for this a honest communication between registries is fundamental. Also the worldwide authority should implement specific procedures for arbitration.

What questions are you hoping to have answered next week? What do you
see as valuable outcomes?

What is the best legal way to constitute OSCRI? How is it going to be organized? Funding?

I think we are really raising awareness and need as many organizations to join as possible with a real will to collaborate and produce something usable. There are many initiatives going on and is the time to gather and foster them or propose new ones in case it gets to be necessary.

We need to talk and freely share our ideas so we get to build something our users will find valuable.

Looking forward to seeing some of you next week and to getting your feedback,

Same here :)

Nathan

----
Nathan R. Yergler