opwg - Re: [OP] Organic pineapple in Ghana

opwg AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Organic Pineapple Working Group

  • From: Organic Pineapple Working Group <opwg AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • To: Organic Pineapple Working Group <opwg AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OP] Organic pineapple in Ghana
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 17:09:59 -0600

Rob Moss, Commercial Director of WAFF LOGOx in Accra, Ghana wrote:

> We are running a small R&D project in Ghana on pineapple for
> processing.

What kind(s) of process do you have in mind?

Canned, Frozen, Fresh Cut, Juice or ?

Whole, Sliced, in Chunks, in Juice, Alone or in Fruit Salad?

> There are two things we are after:

> 1) Any references for properly managed and credible research
> papers on the agronomy of organic pineapple.

> Especially anything in peer reviewed journals.

I searched the USDA's National Agriculture Library:
http://agricola.nal.usda.gov/

using the following search criteria:

Database Name: Article Citation Database
Search Request: Search = (organic AND pineapple)[in Keyword Anywhere]
Search Results: Displaying 1 through 25 of 33 entries.
http://agricola.nal.usda.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SAB1=organic+pineapple&BOOL1=all+of+these&FLD1=Keyword+Anywhere+%28GKEY%29&GRP1=AND+with+next+set&SAB2=&BOOL2=any+of+these&FLD2=Subject+%28SKEY%29&GRP2=AND+with+next+set&SAB3=&BOOL3=as+a+phrase&FLD3=Title+%28TKEY%29&GRP3=AND+with+next+set&SAB4=&BOOL4=as+a+phrase&FLD4=Author+Name+%28NKEY%29&PID=J0bS4jw_kM6Zs4788y12HRXDnAx4P&SEQ=20090320180500&CNT=25&HIST=1

> The main aspects are

> 1) land preparation (ridging/no-ridging, plastic mulch/no plastic)
> and

> 2) use of organic waste for fertilizer (citrus factory waste,
> chicken manure, other waste) over several years.

> 2) I am also looking at papers and research findings (organic or
> not) that describe how to manage rattoon crops of pineapple.

> One issue for us with rattoon crops is how soil fertility might be
> maintained in a second or third ratoon if the only fertilizer we
> have is some form of organic factory waste, chicken manure or
> compost.

I suggest comparing the known nutritional needs of the Pineapple
plant with one or more soil test results, then testing the contents
of whatever organic amendment(s) you intend to apply, in order to
calculate the amount you'll need.

(Tables for distinct sources of organic materials are found in
Robert Parnes book "Fertile Soil", agAccess Davis CA, 1990; and
"Soil management: compost production and use in tropical and
subtropical environments", FOA Soils Bulletin No 56).

Factors such as the availability of the nutrients present should
also be calculated, and nutrient availability itself depends on the
presence, activity and diversity of beneficial soil-microorganisms.

> Has anybody tried just heaping it round the base of the
> plants?

What's your rainfall?

In any case, I assume that working it into the soil would be best
(after all, nutrients are absorbed by the roots of the plant -
although the pineapple plant does have adventitious roots at the
base of it's leaves), unless your goal is for it to serve as a
mulch.

Hope that helps.

Douglas Hinds
OPWG Chair