ocba - Re: [ocba] Removal of "natural" hive in shed

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Robert King <robk2.mindspring.com AT gmail.com>
  • To: Walter Starks <walterstarks AT icloud.com>
  • Cc: nichole mackiewicz <zena800 AT hotmail.com>, "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Removal of "natural" hive in shed
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 12:06:38 -0500

I also do carpentry.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 16, 2017, at 11:00 AM, Walter Starks <walterstarks AT icloud.com> wrote:

This type of removal should normally be handled by a professional for a fee. I wouldn't recommend anyone attempting this without being experienced with home construction/carpentry as well as beekeeping. It's usually a lot of work doing whatever demolition is necessary to gain access to the hive, removing the hive and then restoring the structure to its original condition. I would expect that homeowners insurance would cover this probably. Nerissa posted Chris Richmond's contact info. Contacting him would be my recommendation as well.

Spraying the bees to kill them is a terrible solution. This would leave all the honey unprotected and attract ants, roaches, mice, etc. not to mention the smell of the fermenting honey that wasn't ripe yet.

______

Walter

You never can tell with bees. ~ Winnie-the-Pooh