ocba - [ocba] Plan B? (Re: imminent swarm HAS swarmed)

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Erika Wittchen <erika48 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Plan B? (Re: imminent swarm HAS swarmed)
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 16:31:47 -0400

Hahaha! The girls were indeed ready to swarm...just now, as were we're getting our gear together for the artificial swarm process, they swarmed right before our eyes. Now they are up a tree too high to try and retrieve. A lot of impolite words were uttered!

So...now what.  We're fine with letting the remaining bees re queen themselves as they already had capped queen cells, and who knows maybe a hatched virgin queen.  What I worry about is secondary swarms.  Ideas on how to minimize this?

We are going to do a quick inspection now to assess stores, number of remaining bees, and whether queen cells have hatched. Will post an update. Thanks everyone for the advice, the girls were just a step ahead of us this time.

If anyone has ideas on preventing secondary swarms from this hive, we'd love to hear it!
Thanks!
Erika

  • [ocba] Plan B? (Re: imminent swarm HAS swarmed), Erika Wittchen, 04/07/2016