ocba - Re: [ocba] Feeding

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Alwyn Smith <alwyn.smith AT gmail.com>
  • To: Wilson <infomet AT embarqmail.com>
  • Cc: OCBA <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Feeding
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 22:34:51 -0400

In general, we don't feed the bees syrup during the honey flow. Syrup is fed during the summer dearth, late fall and early spring, if your bees need it. some folks like to feed syrup starting in March to get the hives to build up fast and strong in preparation for the honey flow.

Bees do consume syrup directly, but in the volume you normally feed syrup some of it is certain to end up stored in the comb.