ocba - [ocba] HiveMonitor: Here comes the flow!

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Vic Nyman" <nyman AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] HiveMonitor: Here comes the flow!
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 21:35:26 -0400

(I am afraid that this reveals my computer geek side…)

This spring, we built a hive monitor that tracks hive weight. Attached is a graph of one of our hives showing the weight over the last 5 days. You can see the days where cold and wet weather kept the bees in. You can also see where bees start flying out in the morning followed by the first ones returning carrying nectar and the weight increasing through early evening. On the 9th, you can also see where they go out… come back quickly because of rain… and then do it again.

At night, you can see them reducing the nectar and probably consuming part of it for food. I didn’t realize they can reduce that much weight at night.

Over the last month, really good days would a see a 4-6 pound jump in nectar. Today, they brought in over 10 pounds of nectar! Wow!

Vic