ocba - [ocba] pesticides in beeswax

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Betsy Kempter <betsykempter AT gmail.com>
  • To: OCBA-list server <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] pesticides in beeswax
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 09:28:30 -0400

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can point me to resources for understanding pesticide residues in foundation and beeswax. I have heard about the potential of pesticide residues in foundation to affect bees, hence CNG's move toward using plastic frames with one's own beeswax painted on. When I stopped by Busy Bee to look at super frame inserts, I was glad to see they had plastic ones. However, they seemed to be pre-coated with wax. When I mentioned this concern about pesticides in foundation, Jack assured me that all the wax coming through the shop is tested for pesticides. The plastic is used over wax foundation solely for rigidity. So I am wondering how they might test the wax? Who does the testing? Would such testing pick up residues? At what levels?

Thanks!
~Betsy