ocba - Re: [ocba] Hive seems light?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Catherine Adamson <cadamson AT alumni.unc.edu>
  • To: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Hive seems light?
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:06:43 -0400

I think this depends a great deal on precise resources available at each location.  One of my colonies managed to start backfilling last week while still rearing masses of brood. Caught them just in time to give the queen a nuc vacation and prevent a swarm.  Dont know what they are foraging for nectar since tulip poplars arent on yet but they brought in 50 lbs of it in short order. Really looking forward to the flow!