ocba - [ocba] Fighting?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Blair Christian <blair.christian AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Fighting?
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 08:06:53 -0400

I have seen a bunch of this "fighting". I assume it's fighting.
There are always a couple of these little fights going on. This is
from yesterday. I put the entrance reducer on, and they seem to go
away. The bees look different than my workers, (darker/blacker
abdomen), but it's hard to say that it's not just due to my
supercedure queen having mated with different drones.

There are 2 fights on the left here, one on the front, and one right
in the hive entrance.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_AFT3z3-BEeWFTEk4SIxU57U4W6tiA-PmQPFcO_LMe0?feat=directlink

Question: Should I be concerned? If so, what should I do?

Also, I helped out with 2 swarms this week. I was 1 for 2, but
somebody helped get the One that Got Away...

Swarm 1 in Durham (got away from us, but John(?) helped get it)
https://picasaweb.google.com/106022773068627809372/Bees?authkey=Gv1sRgCM3A8NyCyffRMg&feat=directlink#5719545439497127026

Swarm 2 in Wake (at a coworker's place by the airport)
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Y2HiN8CRV5mvtm5AYhspSZ7U4W6tiA-PmQPFcO_LMe0?feat=directlink

  • [ocba] Fighting?, Blair Christian, 03/17/2012