ocba - [ocba] Scouts at swarm traps!

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "birdcr AT concentric.net" <birdcr AT concentric.net>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Scouts at swarm traps!
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 11:21:12 -0500 (CDT)

Folks,

Thursday night we split a nuk out of my hive. Things are quiet in
the nuk thus far. The larger hive has 5 new deep frames to draw
and keep them busy.

I put out 2 swarm traps with lures I got from Busy Bee on
Wednesday. Just minutes ago I found scouts (2-4) checking both of
them out. One left beelining right past me. We have 2 maybe three
hives in the meadow near by, who owns them I do not know.

The swarm traps I made were from scrap plywood found in the clean
wood pile at the landfill. I cut and made them into 8 frame deep
size and screwed plywood onto the bottom and drilled a 1 1/2 inch
hole the the front. Hung 2-3 frames with foundation inside and
made a hive cover for the top. Then I installed a 5 inch strip of
plywood the screw them to trees. Dropped the lures inside and now
we wait.

Currently one is 12 foot up a tree about 60 ft from the hives, the
other in sitting atop a planter under a huge red bud tree in bloom
about 150 foot from the hive. Need to finish another and place it
on the farm down the street where I plan on putting the next hives
I set up.

Cheers and remember to look up in the trees around your hives!

Randy Emmitt
Rougemont, NC
www.rlephoto.blogspot.com

  • [ocba] Scouts at swarm traps!, birdcr AT concentric.net, 03/17/2012