ocba - [ocba] Cary News- bees on front page..

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Blair Christian <blair.christian AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Cary News- bees on front page..
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:34:51 -0500

FYI: The front page of the (print) Cary News has 2 full color bee
photos and gets 2/3 of the page about their beekeeping ordinance...
Letters to the editor are accepted at carynews AT newsobserver.com. They
do have quotes from the head of Wake County beekeepers and the
president of the NC Beekeepers Association. A main issue driving the
debate against bees seems to be bees in swimming pools, something that
the ordinance might not actually address.

On another note, I went by the Lee's Bees truck this morning
("leesbees" vanity plate) It was headed east on 40 with 96 hives,
each double deeps, all in shades of green. They're 8 double deeps to
a plastic pallet, 12 pallets, and they have a turf grade forklift (as
seen in bee culture ads) on a trailer behind. They were driving quite
responsibly I will add- carrying 3-4 million bees will do that I
guess.