ocba - Re: [ocba] Moving Hives

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Wayne Beyer" <quid_non AT hotmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Moving Hives
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 01:51:44 +0000

Hi Peter -
I think David's advice is sound - I moved a hive from South Carolina to Northern Durham county recently. We closed the hive up shortly after sunset, loaded the box in a truck early in the am and drove for 3-4 hours. As soon as I got home, I positioned the hive and removed the entrance block. The bees were not happy, but got over it quickly - the made a substantial amount of honey this summer - in fact, that hive is the strongest of the three I have.

As David implied - bees will do as they please. Just one other beekeepers experience.
Best
Wayne