ocba - [ocba] Moving Hives

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Peter Smith" <psmith AT leaptec.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Moving Hives
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:00:25 -0400

Does anyone in the group have any advice for moving hives at this time of year? I have moved house and need to relocate my 2 hives about 10miles.

Specific questions:

1) Is now a bad time of year to move them? (I don’t have much choice really)

2) Obviously I close up the hives at dusk to makes sure they are all “home”. Is there any benefit to keeping them closed up at the new location for any length of time? Or just let them fly next day?

3) I guess I should feed them after I get to the new location.

Thanks

Peter D. Smith