nafex - Re: [nafex] North Star vs Meteor vs ?

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] North Star vs Meteor vs ?
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 12:44:28 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Fluffy,

I do grow sweet cherries, though some are challenging.

Currently, I grow 'Lyons' (the family favorite for taste, but also the shyest
bearer), 'Yellow Sweet Spanish' (most susceptible to brown rot, but a truly
beautiful tree- worth to grow as an ornamental), 'Van' (the most dependable
and productive and quite a nice flavor) and 'NY518'/ 'Nugent' (birds do not
ignore them, despite what the catalogs say). I've attempted and failed to
grow 'Merton Bigarreau' (insufficient chilling and too susceptible to
bacterial canker). I also grow 'Belle Magnifique', a Duke with a too-upright
growth habit, but nice tart-sweet cherries.

I've also grown 'Craig's Crimson', but had mixed results.

In Georgia, I had more trouble. Cherry leaf spot and bacterial canker kept
me from producing a single sweet cherry. I attempted 'Black Tartarian',
'Starkcrimson', 'Hedelfingen' and 'Emperor Francis'.

Best regards,

Anton