nafex - Re: [nafex] North Star vs Meteor vs ?

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam (MPCA)" <sam.brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] North Star vs Meteor vs ?
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 17:35:09 +0000

'Richmond' (actually 'Early Richmond') is an old tart cherry variety that
ripens a few days before 'Montmorency' but produces slightly smaller fruit.
It is not known for being especially cold hardy, and I wonder whether the
'Northstar' trees you lost because their chilling requirement had been
fulfilled, while the 'Early Richmond' trees had not. I suppose that the
chilling requirements of both could be found somewhere on the Internet. Or,
were the 'Early Richmond' trees planted in a less cold-prone location? --
Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (Zone 4)