nafex - [nafex] Colorado Test Autumn in November

  • From: Pete Tallman <pete_tallman@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Colorado Test Autumn in November
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 20:45:30 -0600

For several years I have been claiming that 'Niwot' black raspberry is hardy
for Longmont, Colorado (front range), zone 5. November 2014 has proven to be
its downfall. Niwot canes did not survive the transition from 64 degrees in
early November to minus 4 a few days later before the canes had a chance to
go completely dormant. (Newspaper said minus 13, but my thermometer only got
down to minus 4.) No growth is evident in the over-wintered Niwot canes, so
there will be no floricane berries this year. (Jewel black raspberry is
similarly impacted.) New Niwot primocanes are now emerging to (fingers
crossed) give a good primocane crop in August. A lot of my apple trees were
severely damaged or lost, although a few apple varieties seem to be
attempting a full crop, like Yellow Transparent, McIntosh, and Almata. Losses
are way beyond anything I've experienced here before. Cherry trees are mostly
gone. (I have one cherry with a few blossoms on it, but several other trees
are completely gone.) Blueberries are severely impacted. Reka and Elliott
blueberries look mostly OK for blossoms, but others look pretty bad as far as
blossoms go, although most of the blueberries are attempting to start new
growth on vegetative buds. There is not likely to be blueberry pies this
year. Swenson Red grape doesn't look like it made it, but Petite Jewel and
Somerset grapes look OK.

Pete Tallman
Longmont, CO
Colorado front range