nafex - Re: [nafex] kiwi trellis alternatives

  • From: "Hungrytown Dave" <fruitopia@firstva.com>
  • To: iling list at ibiblio <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] kiwi trellis alternatives
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 22:09:04 -0500

I like your single pole idea. I've seen wisteria growing similarly, and it
was very
attractive, almost like a bush.

My method for kiwi is far less attractive, but it leads to lots of vine and
lots of fruit. I
plant them on piles of pruned fruit tree branches, fallen large tree limbs,
and
remnants of trees I cut for firewood. Deer hate to step on branch piles, so
this
method protects vines from deer when the vines are young. Plant the vines
first, just
put a pile on top of them or around them.

Small trees grow up through the piles, such as sassafras and tulip poplar,
and the
vines grow up the trees. I cut the trees as needed to prevent the vines from
getting
too high.

This method is very unruly, but there is little pruning required. One vine
can cover
over 1,500 square feet eventually. You can't get to all the fruit, but I
don't need to.
Two female fuzzies together produce about 9 bushels of reachable fruit for me
every
year. Fuzzless (hardy) varieties have much more variable production for me,
and are
harder to see in the thicket.
~David Consolvo
Hungrytown, Virginia