nafex - [nafex] Sudden die back on apple trees and few blossoms

  • From: sherwin <sherwindu@att.net>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Sudden die back on apple trees and few blossoms
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 02:07:48 -0500

Spring here in the Chicago area had several unpleasant surprises for our orchard.
Of the seven apple trees of various ages, only one had a reasonable amount of
blossoms. This Winter we had a heavy snowfall and now wet Spring conditions. Some of
this could have been due to a very heavy crop last year, but most of these trees
do not go biennial, as a rule. What is more disturbing is that two of our older
dwarf apple trees have lost a lot of branches and show very little leaf production.
There are no signs of fire blight, and we have never seen it here. Some of our
other trees, like plum, sour cherry, and apricot did put out blossoms and one
young Rubinette tree did, as well. Peach trees and pear trees also showed no
blossoms, and they have not shown biennial behavior before.

The biggest concern are the two apple trees that look very stressed and might
not make it through the season. I had sprayed with copper and dormant oil
early this Spring, which should have had some beneficial effect. I wish I knew
what is killing these trees.

Sherwin Dubren
Morton Grove, IL
Zone 5