nafex - Re: [nafex] More Evidence Suggests Honeybees Are Dying en Masse Because of Pesticides - The Wire

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] More Evidence Suggests Honeybees Are Dying en Masse Because of Pesticides - The Wire
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 09:11:56 -0400

On May 10, 2014, at 8:57 AM, Road's End Farm wrote:

> On May 9, 2014, at 11:01 PM, Ginda Fisher wrote:
>
>> I got your post, and the one you replied to. I'm pretty sure ibiblio is up.
>>
>> (and I don't use gmail.
>

> Ditto. I'm using Frontier.
>
> There do seem to be some posts that I'm missing; but I checked with a
> friend still on .aol, and was able to get email from her OK; and I've also
> gotten messages direct from a yahoo user. It may be that those addresses
> are working with Frontier, but not with ibiblio; but ibiblio seems to be
> working with most addresses, not only with gmail.

Yes. As Lawrence described the technical problem, the issue is what happens
to a letter when it passes through a mailing list, and the header information
still says it was written by the actual author, but it is now being sent by
ibiblio, and not by the author's ISP. That inconsistency between some header
info and the rest of the "envelope" causes some mailing systems, especially
the older, free mailing systems, to reject the mail as spam.

Quite a lot of spam DOES fake the "from address", and have similar
inconsistencies. So this isn't completely stupid. But it doesn't work with
mailing lists. i guess most people don't use mailing lists any more, and do
still get spam, so Yahoo, etc., have decided this is the way they want to go.

Ginda