nafex - Re: [nafex] grafting an apple in May

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] grafting an apple in May
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 22:51:10 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 3/22/2014 7:33:18 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
list@ginda.us writes:

I had another thought, as I shopped for rootstocks to have ready. What if
I potted up the root stocks temporarily in small, portable pots -- just
enough to keep them moist from when they arrive until when I can get there
--
and bring them with me when I go up to salvage wood.

Would it work to do chip bud grafting with dormant buds onto potted
root-stock, and then plant to roots into something roomier (the ground, or a
large, non-portable container) the next day? Or would I have better luck
with
grafting twigs that have some unsprouted buds? If the latter, I assume I
ought to cut off the fresh growing end of the twig.

Or would it be less disruptive to the roots to plant them someplace good
for the season as soon as I get them, and just bring some branches home to
graft?

I have a sharp knife, parafilm, and some rubber bands designed to hold
graftlings together, so my grafting equipment is quite portable.
Hi Ginda,

I wouldn't brother taking every thing with you and graft there. I have
taken actively growing apple, cut off the growing outer portion saving the
dormant buds and place the dormant buds in a cooler to carry back home. I've
kept those dormant buds that way for several days in a motel and drive back
home.

I have never grafted apple using commercial under stocks, but with
persimmon and pawpaw, they don't like being grafted the same spring as
planted.
They prefer to be grafted the following year. What I would suggest is
keeping
the understock in the cooler until you have the scions then bench graft
and then plant. That works with most everything.

You can try budding, then watch and after it has calloused cut off the top
forcing the bud. My preference would be whip& tongue or splice, dormant
bench grafting.

Jerry