nafex - Re: [nafex] grafting an apple in May

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] grafting an apple in May
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 11:58:43 -0400

On 3/16/2014 1:13 PM, Ginda Fisher wrote:
My husband's uncle died this winter, leaving his "house in the country" (the
Catskills) to my husband. I would like to try to rescue a seedling apple tree that the
uncle planted as a youth. It has no commercial value, since the fruits all ripen at
different times, and only keep for a few hours after dropping from the tree. But the
fruits (when fresh) are very tasty, and the tree has sentimental value.

It's a large mature tree, and there's no way I can possibly dig it up, and no
way to transport it, and no place to plant it, even if I miraculously did dig
it up. I would like to retrieve some of it and graft it onto an apple tree in
my back yard. But the timing is awkward (I think.) The will hasn't been
probated, and once it is probated, my husband plans to sell the property. The
only time I know I can get there and have legal access is in May. On the
other hand, I suppose I could remove as much of the tree as I want in May.

Any advice?

Yeah, my advice would be to sneak in there and grab some dormant scion wood before it's too late. In that location, by early April I would think.
If that's just not possible, then plan B should be to wait until later and collect wood for some bud grafts. Graft or bud onto some vigorous sprouts on your tree. It doesn't matter, this year, if place them where you really want the grafts to be. Your goal for this year should be to get it started anywhere on your property so you will have scion wood right there for next year, or the year after.

Steve (in the Adirondacks)