nafex - [nafex] practical pruning question

  • From: Devin Smith <dvidedevo@yahoo.com>
  • To: "nafex@lists.ibiblio.org" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] practical pruning question
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 19:51:08 -0700 (PDT)

I have a 7 year old Hosui pear that wasn't trained quite right early in its
life and am wondering if those of you with lots of pruning know how can give
me some ideas of how best to remedy the situation. The tree is on Old Home
rootstock, and has a good form except that its lowest tier of branches needs
one more scaffold to fill things out. When I purchased it from the nursery,
it had only two good sized scaffold branches about 3 ft. (or so) off the
ground. I realize now that I could have pruned these back to encourage growth
of a third strong scaffold to fill out the remaining area of the lower canopy
(which is on the north side of the tree), but instead allowed the tree to
grow. It has a good form overall. Higher tiers have three or perhaps four
nicely spaced branches, but this lowest tier has unfortunately not grown a
vigorous scaffold to fill out this hole in the canopy, which unfortunately on
the north side and so less likely to grow vigorously to
begin with. When pruning this tree last week, I was reminded of techniques
like notching and nicking that can be used to spur vigorous growth of a bud.
I'm wondering if anyone might have any tips on how to induce growth of a
vigorous scaffold where there currently is none. I'd rather not prune much of
the other limbs, as they all seem to be growing in nice form (no watersprouts
to speak of) and are yielding well. I'd hate to disturb the balance to force
growth. A couple of small branches have grown in the area I'd like to have a
scaffold, but both resemble spurs more than branches. I pruned each back to
only one or two buds, hoping to channel all their vigor, and plan to select
the stronger of the two in the hopes it will fill the void. I'm guessing this
will more or less work, but wonder if there might be a better way. I'd
appreciate any tips you might have. thanks,
-Devin Smith
Rockingham, VT