nafex - Re: [nafex] "improved" Eleagnus

  • From: Lee Reich <leeareich@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] "improved" Eleagnus
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 08:07:17 -0400

I wrote about King in the Eleagnus chapter of my book Uncommon Fruits for
Every Garden. I've seen it and tasted it; it's attractive and good-tasting.
Many years ago Hector Black wrote of trying to grow it in Tennessee; he said
it succumbed in midsummer to humidity. He sent me some dried ones from
Turkey. I've tried growing it a few times and had the same results as Hector.
Around July the plant collapses and dies.

The plant was introduced by the USDA from Afghanistan in the 1950s as a
conservation plant in the West. Unfortunately, Russian olive is now
classified as an invasive there so no one is planting King Red anymore.

Perhaps it would tolerate the cooler summers of Vermont. Keep us posted if
you try it.

Lee Reich, PhD
Come visit my farmden at http://leereich.blogspot.com/
http://leereich.com/