nafex - Re: [nafex] "improved" Eleagnus

  • From: "PATTY " <jrplelie@centurylink.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] "improved" Eleagnus
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 06:31:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Devin,

"King Red" is most likely Elaeagnus angustifolia 'Orientalis' or considered
Elaeagnus orientalis by others. A few years ago, I purchased several bags of
the fruit from a middle eastern grocery store. It is known as Igde, Senjed,
Oleaster, or Mountain Ash. After removing the seeds, I soaked them in
multiple changes of water for 3 days using the same program as the USDA's
apple folks. Then I stored in the refrigerator in a plastic bag with a moist
paper towel. 3-4 months later, the germination rate was very close to 100%.
I have moved since then but the plants are 4-5 feet tall and doing well.
Hopefully, they continue to do so with our frigid winter. They are too young
for fruit production.

I also started some local trees of Russian Olive, from larger fruited trees.
Taste between the R.O. and the Igde was the same.

With the middle eastern grocers, there are a few names used but from my own
experience, they were in fact R.O.s. You may be able to purchase cheaply
from a large city out your way. If only to experience the fruit for yourself.

In the future I may try grafting Igde onto a few R.O.s in the area. The seeds
are 1/3 to 1/2 a size larger than the regular R.O's.

http://www.kalamala.com/products/mountain-ash-tree-fruit-senjed

Jim Elie
Pulaski WI
zone 5