nafex - Re: [nafex] Persimmon Pruning

  • From: Alexander Brands <abb7@Lehigh.EDU>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Persimmon Pruning
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 14:45:12 -0500

From: alexis <alexis@conev.org>
Subject: [nafex] Persimmon Pruning

On some of these trees, it seems like I have had to do a lot of cutting to deal with tight forks in the center of the tree. Any opinions welcome.

I've had good luck avoiding tight forks using the clothespin training method. Basically, as the leader sends out branches, you fasten a clothespin to the leader right above the new branch, to force it to grow out at close to a right angle. You can see a picture of this method applied to an apple tree here. Of course, this gets harder to implement as the tree gets taller.

Alex

  • [nafex] Persimmon Pruning, alexis, 01/30/2014
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: [nafex] Persimmon Pruning, Alexander Brands, 01/31/2014