nafex - [nafex] Persimmon Pruning

  • From: alexis <alexis@conev.org>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Persimmon Pruning
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 12:46:05 -0500

I love persimmons. I think they are the greatest fruit trees ever. So much so that I have helped establish various orchards around central Virginia. I plant Asians, Americans, and my favorite, the Asian-American crosses.
The Asians seem to need little if any pruning. The others are forking a lot, not maintaining a central leader at all. This is true for Saigo, Rosseyanka, and most of the Americans. Do other folks have much experience pruning these things over the long term? Does it work to let them turn into big bushes, or should I hack at them and maintain central leaders? On some of these trees, it seems like I have had to do a lot of cutting to deal with tight forks in the center of the tree. Any opinions welcome.
Alexis