nafex - [nafex] off-topic: transplanting a mature spruce, also collecting scion wood from apples

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] off-topic: transplanting a mature spruce, also collecting scion wood from apples
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 00:03:15 -0400

I apologize for the off-topic post, but you guys know a lot about plants, and
I'm not sure whom else to ask.

A relative died recently, leaving behind an extensive garden. One of the
plants is a prostrate spruce -- it has no tendency to grow upright, and has
formed a large ground-cover-y mat. It's been growing for maybe 20 years, so
it's fairly large. (although nowhere as much as a foot tall.)

Do you think there's any way to transplant it?

More on-topic -- the garden also has some pears, apples, and grape vines, but
I'm pretty sure none of those can be transplanted. Two of the apples are
interesting -- one is a seedling he grew out and the other is an unreleased
"numbered" tree from Cornell. I would like to collect scion wood. When can
one do that? I have legal access to the site, but it's far from my home, so
my practical access is limited. So I'm more interested in "what are all the
times that might work" than in "what is the very best time".

Thanks,
Ginda