nafex - Re: [nafex] Fw: Swaar not Swaar

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Fw: Swaar not Swaar
  • Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 21:03:56 -0400

I am holding an Ashmeads Kernel, and it seems to have less prominent
lenticels than the photo. Ashmeads Kernel does often produce mis-shapen
apples like that. It is a fabulous apple if you like an apple that is sweet,
tart, and crunchy. It also has a nice apple flavor. It's my family's favorite.

I also have a Golden Russet, picked this morning (about 2 weeks after I
picked Ashmeads Kernel.) It has more slightly more prominent lenticels (like
the photo) but it is usually more regular, and smoother, than the lumpy
apples you have. But maybe bugs or some other environmental stress did that.
The apples I have were grown at a nearby commercial orchard. It is also a
tasty apple, sweet, but less tart than Ashmead, a little chewier, with a
milder flavor than Ashmead, but still rich and apple-y.

The shape and size sound right for either Ahsmead or Golden Russet.

Ginda
eastern MA