nafex - Re: [nafex] Book: The perfect fruit: good breeding, bad seeds, and the hunt for the elusive pluot

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Book: The perfect fruit: good breeding, bad seeds, and the hunt for the elusive pluot
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 10:49:40 -0700 (PDT)

Rivka,

Quality really means both.  The stone fruit industry in particular (not that
others aren't) are acutely aware of the role this has in their competitive
ability.  When was the last time you bought a peach at the grocery store and
could say it was REALLY good?  One of the major goals in stone fruit breeding
is firmness, but that is part of the road to quality.  Something that retains
firmness longer can be left on the tree to ripen longer and still be firm
enough to ship and/or store.  The biggest constraint on the quality of this
fruit in the supermarket is that it is picked when physiologically mature,
but not yet ripe.  This is because of the firmness required for shipping but
also the length of time it takes from the orchard to someone's shopping cart.
Would you believe that raspberry growers are expected to produce a fruit
that will hold up for 10-14 days to allow time to be shipped and stocked on
the shelf?  This is an unbelieveable
constraint on most perishable fruit if picked when fully ripe.  At the end
of the day, most people would be pretty happy with the quality of the fruit
they buy if it was just picked when it was ripe, and increased firmness is
one part of what makes this a little more achievable.  Flavor is definitely a
breeding target as well, but the biggest thing they can do to improve flavor
in grocery store fruit is to leave it on the plant longer.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Mission, British Columbia
www.Mdossettphoto.com