nafex - Re: [nafex] Book: The perfect fruit: good breeding, bad seeds, and the hunt for the elusive pluot

  • From: <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Book: The perfect fruit: good breeding, bad seeds, and the hunt for the elusive pluot
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 15:27:12 -0400

An unappreciated complication is that the supermarket chains have central warehouses through which usually everything has to flow. The warehouses are often owned by a different corporation and I surmise that the financial organization requires that some of the profits (maybe most) be made by the warehouse entity. I suppose this is partly to guard the profits from union demands, maybe so that they can better be routed offshore.

Also the chains seem to like that goods sold be uniform across the chain.

In 1985 a large Niagara grower told me that he had sent a load of peaches to a supermarket in Kingston, Ontario about 250 miles away by road. The manager was very pleased with the peaches and promised more orders. Soon after the manager said there would be no more orders; head office had told him that if he made another direct buy like that he would be fired.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada