nafex - [nafex] Peach borers eradication with elderberry leaf spray

  • From: Nutritional Solutions <btnutrition@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Peach borers eradication with elderberry leaf spray
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 21:36:23 -0400 (EDT)

I had borers on one of my 4 peach trees a few years back and tried a
wholistic remedy that seems to have worked: a spray of elderberry leaf tea.
Simmer 8 ounces of elder leaves in 16 ounces of water for 30 minutes. Let sit
until cool. Stir thoroughly, then strain. Combine with 16 ounces of water
and mix with 1 TBSP of castile soap (I used Dr. Bronner's brand). Add soap
mixture to the elder water, spray as needed (coarse setting of sprayer as to
prevent clogging nozzle). Have also used this "tea" as a preventative,
nutrient spray (1 TBSP liquid fish, 1 TBSP horticultural molasses, 1 tsp kelp
powder, 4 ounces undiluted elder leaf tea per gallon of water). The
elderberry leaf spray works well for aphids, though in my edible landscape
and day or two of patience seems to work even better, as hungry lacewings
appear and solve the problem.

Anyone else using elder leaf for this?

Jeanne M. Wallace, PhD (nutrition)
Zone 6 northern Utah, 4,600' elevation