nafex - [nafex] Wild Elderberry Productivity vs. Cultivated

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [nafex] Wild Elderberry Productivity vs. Cultivated
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 21:42:55 -0500

mIEKAL wrote: "
Jim, are you pruning back the wood every year or two years? I find it
makes a huge difference in productivity for me. Also I seem to remember
that you're in zone 3 and wonder if there are hardiness issues going on for
you."

Miekal,
I grew a named variety of Sambucus nigra that grew 8' tall and was very productive...............for two years. Thereafter they have grown only to an unproductive short (2' to 3') bush and are very difficult to destroy, resistant even to Round-Up. I keep digging them up and left over roots sprout somewhere else and I dig again. I've been trying to get rid of them for eight years now.

Jim Fruth
Zone 3, Minnesota

  • [nafex] Wild Elderberry Productivity vs. Cultivated, Jim Fruth, 05/22/2013