nafex - [nafex] sea buckthorn leaf makes delightful tea

  • From: Nutritional Solutions <btnutrition@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] sea buckthorn leaf makes delightful tea
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 21:55:19 -0400 (EDT)

I've been growing sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides) for a number of years:
we love the fruits with their "tropical citrus" like flavor. Recently
discovered that the LEAF makes a delicious tea, and is being investigated for
its health benefits (267 PubMed hits, for blood sugar regulation, antioxidant
capacity, adaptogenic, hepatoprotective, cytoprotective properties, mainly
due to phenolic constituents).

Finally, a culinary use for that essential male plant! We summer prune our
male plant in early June (to control size), strip the leaves and shade dry
them. These are stored in an air tight container until needed, then crushed
and used 1 tsp per 8 ounces boiling hot water, steeped 5 minutes. The taste
is quite similar to green tea (Camilla sinensis). Also very tasty with lemon
(or sumac) served chilled/iced.

I also use red raspberry and mulberry leaves for tea. Anyone else making tea?

Of note: our operation is entirely "organic" mostly biodynamic, and tea might
not be advisable in sprayed orchards.

Jeanne M. Wallace, PhD (nutrition)
zone 6 northern Utah, 4,600' elevation

  • [nafex] sea buckthorn leaf makes delightful tea, Nutritional Solutions, 05/23/2013