nafex - Re: [nafex] was lavendar, now tree shelters/tubes

  • From: "Lucky Pittman" <lpittman@murraystate.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] was lavendar, now tree shelters/tubes
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 11:32:26 -0500

Steve,
I'd recommend looking at some of the tree shelters/tubes developed for use
on reforestation projects - designed to protect against browsing/rubbing,
but translucent, to allow sunlight to penetrate. They do promote more rapid
erect growth - and you can get 'em in lengths from 2' to 6'. Some can be
removed for reuse, but all photo-degrade over a period of time, and most
have perforations that split when the trunk fills the tube, if left on that
long.
By all means, get the 'vented' type.
Look at Plantra.com, TreePro.com, Tubex.com; probably other
manufacturers/sources out there, but those are the 'big three' that I'm
familiar with.
We just put on about 200 4-ft shelters on some pecan/hickory/oak seedlings
and mulberry truncheons we out-planted this winter.

Lucky