nafex - Re: [nafex] Mushrooms

  • From: Kieran <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Mushrooms
  • Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 19:22:42 -0600

I'll have to check out some of those links. We just ordered shiitake and oyster spores from Mushroompeople. Good prices and only about 150 miles from us. A number of the young trees we cut to inoculate came from the woods that are pressing on some of my fruit trees. Also there is a morel patch that we pick from every spring, hmmmm... I think that Louis Bromfield wrote that you look for morels in the time from when the dogwoods bloom through apple blossom time. So having apples trees is helpful for morel hunting. A few years ago my son told me to spread wood ashes and gypsum where we want morels to grow, which at the moment is under a couple of pretty big apple trees in a friend's yard in town, within sight of the farmer's mkt. He said put some of the top of a morel in the blender and sprinkle it around. I'd think that some of these organic minded orchardists might do pretty well with morels under their apple trees. The yellow morels are considered better, and we have only the black. Donna