nafex - Re: [nafex] fruit trees and bushes for Northwestern Montana

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] fruit trees and bushes for Northwestern Montana
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 21:46:57 +0000

Blueberries: Patriot, Elizabeth, Toro and Spartan, Bluegold and others that
ripen earlier, even Jersey is worth trying.

Pie cherry: both Montmorency and Morello are hardy and easy to tend (I own
and love English Morello)

Apples: early- Discovery, Summer Rambo (Rambour Franc), Duchess of Oldenburg,
Monark?; mid season - Hubbardston Nonesuch, Lord Lambourne, Liberty, Ribston
Pippin, Holstein; late - Pomme Grise, Winesap, Court Pendu Plat, Stoke Red
(cider), Tom Putt, Edelborsdorfer, Roter Eiserapfel (you'll need to get scion
wood and graft your own of the last two), Zabergaü Renette, Winston.
For root stocks you might look at getting BUd 9 for vigorous trees like Roter
Eiserapfel and Summer Rambour - and stake permanently; Geneva 30, 202 or 935
for mid sized (most); Bud 118 or MM 106 for something puny like Court Pendu
Plat.

Tried black currants? Consort, Titania, Ben More and Ben Sarek; Crandall
(Ribes odoratum) shows promise.

Strawberries are worth a look.

I have a thornless raspberry that is fruitful and seems quite hardy. Raintree
has one called Autumn Britten that sounds promising, "best raspberry for the
upper Midwest".

No doubt there are people in your area that can testify to cultivars they
have proven.

Dave Liezen