nafex - Re: [nafex] American Highbush Cranberry - NATIVE cultivars.

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] American Highbush Cranberry - NATIVE cultivars.
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 10:41:08 -0700

I've eaten fruits off of wild plants, which I assume are native varieties, and they are stinky too. Do you have some information that there is a non-stinky native variety?

Actually, I enjoy them despite the smell because I usually eat them mid-winter when there is no other fresh fruit. The berries stay on the bush and the birds don't seem to bother them. At that time of year, the fruits are so cold that it cuts the funkiness of the taste and smell and you just get a nice burst of fresh, tart juice. I've actually gotten used to the strange smell/taste and don't mind it.

Ginda, "high bush cranberry" is not a cranberry at all. It is a species of Viburnum. The fruits are a beautiful bright red that almost seems to radiate sunlight in the winter.

Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
Lead Author, Barron's MCAT Prep Book
Lead Author, Barron's LSAT Prep Book (2013)
(505) 281-0684
10 am to 10 pm Mountain Time, 7 days