nafex - [nafex] Fwd: Johny A.

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [nafex] Fwd: Johny A.
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 11:29:33 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 9:59 AM
Subject: Johny A.
To: nafex-request@lists.ibiblio.org

That isn't to take away from Johnny. He was an apple authority and went
> around the country helping folks and propagated popular varieties by
grafting.
> And, I'd bet he enjoyed some sparkling (fermenting) apple cider too.

Actually, according to Pollan's book, Johny thought grafting was devil's
work and that God wanted trees to grow just as they were from seed. As
stated earlier, the apples use was mostly for "hard" cider and early
Americans probably didn't have high standards on the quality of the stuff
as long as it dulled the discomforts of their existence.