nafex - Re: [nafex] Meader persimmon question

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Meader persimmon question
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 09:42:15 -0600

Chris, I'm in NM at 7000 ft, so the climate is somewhat similar to yours. I have a number of American persimmons here. They are typically very late in leafing out. Occasionally the tops are killed completely on my plants, though there are many other years when they are so late that I'm afraid they were killed but in fact leaf out later.

If the top of yours has been killed and you can't tell where the shoots are coming from, you're stuck with deciding whether to keep a plant that may be a male or may be a female of unknown quality, or to replace the plant. When I kept facing this decision, I contacted John Gordon and asked if it was possible to get named varieties on their own roots. That would solve the problem, as I could let the new shoots take over, which they always did. In other words the roots never failed to send up something, even when the top was killed.

John's first reply was no, that it was too difficult to root them, so all named varieties were grafted. But that year when he sent me the plants I had ordered, he had a note that the SAA Pipers were on their own roots. He apparently had an older tree that produced suckers that were rootable. So now I have three SAA Pipers on their own roots. Sometimes some have been killed to the ground but it doesn' t matter now.

Unless you want to risk growing an unknown plant, I'd suggest removing the suckers. If the top comes back, you won't need the suckers to provide energy to the roots. If the top doesn't come back, you probably won't want the tree at all.

Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
Lead Author, Barron's MCAT Prep Book
Lead Author, Barron's LSAT Prep Book (2013)
(505)-281-0684
10 am to 10 pm Mt Time, 7 days