nafex - Re: [nafex] Meader persimmon question

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Meader persimmon question
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:23:51 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 6/12/2012 11:44:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
orders@cuttsreviews.com writes:

> Unless you want to risk growing an unknown plant, I'd suggest removing
> the suckers. If the top comes back, you won't need the suckers to
> provide energy to the roots. If the top doesn't come back, you probably
> won't want the tree at all.

Jay's answer is a good one.

Grafted trees often will naturally try to abort the graft just as the human
body will try to reject a foreign object or body part. But to accurately
answer that question you need to determine if the shoots are from above or
below the graft. If from above, I'd not remove as the grafted portion may be
damaged. You should be able to see the graft line. The bark fissures at the
graft line will usually not be continuous. Look closely. If from below, break
them off.

Jerry