nafex - Re: [nafex] Best apricots for the northeast

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Best apricots for the northeast
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 09:20:45 -0600

I think Bill told me it was a cross - maybe part apricot, part plum.

Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
Lead Author, Barron's MCAT Prep Book
Lead Author, Barron's LSAT Prep Book (2013)
(505)-281-0684
10 am to 10 pm Mt Time, 7 days

On 6/11/2012 11:07 PM, Steve wrote:
Yeah, I've heard that story, about it being a plum, before. I don't buy
it. The original tree is across town from me, here in Tupper Lake.
Actually, I'm not sure if it's still there, now. The yard where it grew
is about a 10 minute walk from here.
I'm not sure if it was just before or just after Bill MacKentley
discovered the tree (for sure it was before it appeared in his catalog),
a friend of mine, who knew the tree owner, gave to me a basket of the
fruit. I remember them being thin skinned and kind of oblong. They
looked a lot like a plum. I saved the seeds from that small basket of
fruit and grew them. I planted six or seven seedlings on my property,
gave two to my next door neighbor, and I think 3 to someone a few miles
away.
I still have 4 of the best seedlings and I have tasted the fruit next
door. All, every tree, produces small round Manchurian apricots. They
bloom way before any of my 8 or 9 plum trees. The fruit size and taste
varies a bit but all are little round apricots. (My next door neighbor
turned out to get the best one... I grafted it in my yard later.)

Steve in the Adirondacks