nafex - Re: [nafex] Getting a Chocolate kaki to make more female flowers

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Getting a Chocolate kaki to make more female flowers
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 23:31:49 -0400

This is quite a puzzle. I pruned my Chocolate back this weekend since it had
finished flowering. I discovered all the female fruits were on thicker limbs
of this years growth which tended to be growing more vertically than
horizontally. These limbs tended to come out of larger scaffolds or
branches. The male limbs were thinner and shorter and tended to come out of
other smaller branches. I pruned out much of the male flowering branches and
hopefully the tree will decide to grow some limbs that will produce female
shoots next spring.

Anton, your tree sounds like it was in a different state than mine, I got all
male flowers last spring but had not pruned it much any year up to that. I
think I had let the tree get too dense perhaps. I did do a bit of pruning
and maybe I was pruning off the more vigorous stuff which would have given me
female flowers. Your tree may have reverted to focus away from fruiting to
rebuild structure after the severe pruning - male flowers take up little
energy compared to females.

Scott

>>> http://groups.google.com/group/nafexlist