nafex - Re: [nafex] CAR apple

  • From: Elizabeth Hilborn <ehilborn@mebtel.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] CAR apple
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 21:33:22 -0400

Thanks for the advice to remove the cedars. They have had a good crop of fungal fruiting bodies this warm spring. Unfortunately, the trees are VERY abundant in the forest surrounding my property, and convincing my neighbors to clear their land of cedar trees (or allow me to do so) would be a Herculean task. The birds seem to prefer the berries as well, any untended pasture fence line in my area rapidly grows up in red cedar.

I anticipated the problem by planting resistant apple varieties. Previous years when I have observed infected flowering quince or serviceberry fruits, I have just removed the fruits. Their foliage had been unaffected.

Most years it is controllable, but this year I see significant damage; my apple tree has extensive damage to the new terminal growth. It comprises about 60% of the new growth on the laterals including fruit clusters.

I just wasn't sure if I should prune the affected portions of the apple out.

Thanks,
Betsy Hilborn